This incident is now fully resolved. All affected Section & Author Reports from 3/12 - 3/15 have been regenerated with corrected traffic numbers, and those Reports are viewable to subscribed users in the Reports Dashboard: https://chartbeat.com/reports/dashboard/
Posted Mar 25, 2020 - 16:05 EDT
A fix was implemented and traffic numbers have been corrected for sections and authors in Historical Dashboards between 3/12-3/15. We have started regenerating Section and Author Reports for those days and will resolve this incident fully once this process is completed. These regenerated Reports will be viewable from your Reports Dashboard: https://chartbeat.com/reports/dashboard/
Posted Mar 19, 2020 - 14:55 EDT
We are continuing to work on a fix for this issue.
Posted Mar 19, 2020 - 00:01 EDT
We've identified an issue causing inflated traffic numbers in Historical for some sections and authors beginning March 12 through March 15. This has also caused inflated traffic numbers for some Section and Author Reports over the same four day period. We are currently working to correct these totals, and we expect this maintenance process to take a few days.
Posted Mar 16, 2020 - 19:28 EDT
This incident affected: Chartbeat Publishing - Historical Dashboards and Chartbeat Publishing - Reports.